Resident Assistant (RA) Program
Note: Beginning May 2020, Community Advisors (CAs) will be referred to as Resident Assistants (RAs) to better align with University of Maine System terminology.
Resident Assistants (RAs) fill an important role in creating a welcoming, fun, safe and respectful community within the residence halls on our campus. Each RA is tasked with getting to know every resident on their floor, while also creating a community feel on the floor by helping residents get to know one another. Successful RAs frequently connect with each of their residents in person. RAs also plan and run creative events in their hall to help residents get to know one another. RAs should be good role models to their communities, both personally and academically. We train our staff to know about resources all over campus so that they can help answer questions that residents may have. At times RAs will also be called upon to mediate conflict, to confront behavioral concerns, and to respond to crises.
Applications for RA positions for the 2020-2021 academic year are now closed. Please return in late Fall 2020 for the 2021-2022 academic year applications!
Why be an RA?
- Develop professional skills
- Serve as a peer role model
- Build your resume
- Join the ranks of campus leadership!
Eligibility to apply to be an RA:
- Must have lived on campus for one semester (two semesters by time of employment start date)
- Good behavioral standing with the university
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA
Compensation and benefits:
- Room and board waiver
- Priority for leadership development opportunities on and off campus
- January 24, 2020, 5pm: Applications close
- January 27-February 7: Outreach to schedule interviews
- February 10-14: Interviews held
- February 28: Decisions made and notifications sent to all applicants
- March 13, 5pm: Deadline to accept or decline position if offered
Please carefully review both the 2021 RA Syllabus and the 2021 RA Contract. These documents will help you better understand the position and what your responsibilities would be as an RA. Please note that the documents are subject to change.
If you have any questions, please contact 207.255.1245 or visit Powers Hall, Room 204. You can also reach us by email at email@example.com.