Student Accessibility Services (S.A.S)

Welcome to the Office of Student Accessibility Services at University of Maine at Machias!  Our office is located in 229A Torrey Hall with hours of operation from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm. 

Services for students with disabilities are available to any enrolled University of Maine student having a self-reported disability. Documentation must follow the guidelines, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by a professional staff member. SAS and University of Maine is committed to accommodating students with disabilities and helping them to achieve academic success.

SAS provides students with reasonable accommodations and services to ensure equal access to education as intended by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Services include assistance with, but are not limited to, the following disabilities covered by the above laws:

  • Learning disabilities (such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, reading/math disability, specific learning disability, etc.)
  • Medical health (such as cardiac disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, seizure disorder, etc.)
  • Physical/mobility impairments (ambulatory, wheelchair)
  • Hearing impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Emotional/psychological diagnosis (such as bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc.)
  • Autism spectrum disorder
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Temporary disabilities – disabilities existing only for a short period of time (6-months or less) as a result of injuries, surgery or short-term medical conditions.

If you have had an IEP or a 504 plan during high school please look at HS vs. College. This informational sheet will help you better understand the differences between accommodations in the high school setting compared to the college setting.

What are some typical Accommodations at UMM?

College accommodations differ from high school accommodations you may have had. Also, the type of disability determines the appropriate accommodations.  When you meet with a professional staff member, they will discuss with you the most appropriate accommodation for you.  Some services may include:

  • Extended test time
  • Separate test location
  • Assistive Technology
  • Note-takers
  • Test reader
  • Test scribe and/or use of computer
  • Housing accommodations
  • Seating in the front of the room
  • Enlarged print
  • Other accommodations specific to disability must be requested and approved.

If you have any questions on accommodations and/or the process please feel free to contact Zach Benner, Accessibility Coordinator & Case Manager, at or 207.255.1228. 

How do I request Accommodations?