UMaine Machias’ beautiful Down East Maine location plays a large role in the college experience, both in and outside of the classroom. No snarled traffic, no crowds…Although both the town and campus are very safe, we know that crime can happen anywhere. For that reason, the Office of Student Life cooperates with local law enforcement authorities to ensure a safe environment, and partners with the Residence Life staff to promote crime prevention and awareness.
Reporting of Criminal Actions
Call 911 if you have a severe or life-threatening medical emergency.
For other concerns, please contact the Director of Student Life, Hope Shore (firstname.lastname@example.org or office number: 207-255-1320) or the RA on duty at 207-263-4205. RAs are available 7:00pm-8:00am.
I want to report or fill out a:
Universal Incident Report Form | Used to report accidents, potential crime(s), conduct infraction(s), or suspicious behavior in or around a campus building. The Universal Incident Report form provides us with information to meet the requirements of the Clery Act.
Title IX Report Form | This form should be used to report concerns pertaining to UMaine Machias students or employees who have experienced dating violence, domestic violence, hostile environment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, stalking, retaliation, or other forms of sexual misconduct.
Emergencies are reported to the Residential Life staff. If the incident occurs in the residence halls, please call the RAs at 207-263-4205.
Crimes should be reported by calling 911.
Missing Student Policy & Protocol
The purpose of this policy is to promote the safety and welfare of members of the University of Maine at Machias (UMaine Machias) community through compliance with the requirements of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (the HEOA). This protocol includes the official notification procedures of UMaine Machias for missing students who reside in on-campus housing, in accordance with the requirements of HEOA.
It is the policy of UMaine Machias to provide all students, including those residing in on-campus housing the ability to identify an individual to be contacted by UMaine Machias in the event that the student is determined to be missing for a period of more than 24 hours, in addition to notifying any contact person designated by the student to UMaine Machias. This information must be supplied on the Housing Application and updated as needed in the student’s MaineStreet.
- Missing Student: For purposes of this policy, a student is determined to be missing when a law enforcement agency determines that the student has been missing for more than 24 hours, without any known reason, that the reported information is credible, and that circumstances warrant declaring the person missing.
- On-Campus Housing: A residence hall or other residential facility for students that is located on UMaine Machias’ campus. (34 CFR §668.41(a))
- Dorward and Sennett Halls
IV. Protocol: Missing Students Including Those Who Reside In On-Campus Housing
- If a member of the UMaine Machias community has reason to believe that a student, including one who resides in on-campus housing is missing, or receives a report of a missing student, they shall immediately contact local law enforcement by calling 911. Director of Student Life, Hope Shore can also be contacted at email@example.com or at her office number: 207-255-1320.
- Nothing in this policy/protocol is intended to preclude UMaine Machias from determining that a student is missing before the student has been missing for a full 24 hours or initiating notification procedures as soon as it determines that the student is missing.
- A student who wishes to identify a confidential contact may do so through the Resident Life Coordinator. Students shall be given the opportunity to register contact information by logging into MaineStreet or by contacting the Resident Life Coordinator. A student’s contact information shall be accessible only by authorized campus officials, and will not be disclosed except to law enforcement in connection with a missing person investigation.
- A missing student report must be referred immediately to the Head of Campus. If the student who is missing is under 18 years of age and not emancipated, UMaine Machias must notify a custodial parent or guardian within 24 hours of determining that the student is missing, in addition to notifying the confidential contact person designated by the student. UMaine Machias will notify the local law enforcement agency within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing, unless the local law enforcement agency was the entity that made the determination that the student is missing.
V. Contact Information
- UMaine Machias RA On Call: (207)-263-4205
- Machias Police Department: (207) 255-8558
VI. Related Information
Crime Log & Fire Log
The Crime Log is a record of criminal incidents and or alleged criminal incidents which are reported to local law enforcement. Recorded within the Crime Log is the date and time the crime/alleged crime occurred, the date and time the crime/alleged crime was reported, the nature of the crime/alleged crime and the general location of the crime/alleged crime.
The Fire Log is a record of fires which occur in on-campus residence halls.
Both the Crime Log and the Fire Log for the most recent 60-day period is available for public inspection, free of charge. To access this information, please visit contact the Machias Police Department, 17 Stackpole Rd Machias, ME 04654. Mailing Address: P.O. Box 418. Machias, ME 04654. Phone: 207-255-8558 and/or Machias Fire Department, 25 McDonald Drive, Machias, ME 04654. Mailing Address: PO Box 418, Machias, ME 04654. Phone: 207-255-4424.