International Student Admissions

Application Process

  • Complete one of our applications – the Common Application or the ApplyMaine Application. Applications are currently free!
  • Submit an official transcript of all previous secondary/high school (submissions requirements by country our requirements are the same as UMaine). This transcript needs to be issued from the secondary/high school directly to be considered official. If the document is not in English, submit a certified English translation.
    • Official transcripts can be submitted using one of the following methods:
      • Uploaded by a school official through the Common Application
      • Mailed directly from the organization issuing the transcript to:
      Sent via airmail or equivalent: Application Processing
      PO Box 412
      Bangor, ME 04402-0412)
      Shipped using courier service (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) : c/o University of Maine Machias Admissions
      116 Obrien Ave
      Machias, ME 04654
  • Submit official academic exam results required by your country.
  • Submit official transcripts of all previous universities. To be considered official, these transcripts need to come directly from the universities attended.
  • Official English language proficiency test scores if you reside in a country where English is not the primary language. (see FAQ below)
  • Submit an International Student Declaration of Finances along with supporting documents via e-mail to This documentation must be original, certified, or notarized, and be less than one year old. We cannot admit any international students without this completed form. If submitted with the application, this form expedites the issuing of the I-20 (immigration document). Documentation should be submitted to support scholarships, sponsorships and family funds.
  • Submit a copy of passport ID page and submit via e-mail to


Information will be sent via email for activation of your email and MaineStreet accounts.  You will be able to check the status of your application online via Mainestreet once your account has been activated.  Please continue to monitor the status of your application through the Self-Service Center in MaineStreet to ensure all supporting materials have been received.


Q. What kind of scholarships are available for undergraduate international students?

A.Our international students are eligible for the same tuition rate and scholarships as our domestic out-of-state students. This changes yearly; you can find the most updated information here


Q.Are SAT or ACT scores required?

A. No, the University of Maine at Machias does not require SAT or ACT scores. However, SAT or ACT scores can often establish admissibility to the university when foreign academic records alone cannot.


Q. Can I attend the University of Maine at Machias for only a semester or a year?

A. We do not have an international exchange program in place at this time.


Q. How quickly will the University of Maine at Machias send me the form (e.g., I-20) I need to apply for my visa?

A. As soon as you have been admitted and established your ability to finance your education, we will prepare the Form I-20 and mail it to you along with information about applying for your visa and preparing to come to the U.S.


Q. Can I submit the International Student Declaration of Finances form after I am accepted?

A. No, we must receive the International Student Declaration of Finances form before issuing your acceptance letter.


Q. Do Canadian commuting students still need to submit an International Student Declaration of Finances?

A. No, Canadian students who live across the border and commute to our campus each day do not have to submit an International Student Declaration of Finances form. However, if circumstances change and you wish to live in our residence halls or elsewhere in the United States, you must notify International Admissions of this change and submit the form.


Q. I do not need transfer credit from my former university. Do I still have to have it professionally evaluated?

A. Yes. We require all international students (except Canada) to have their transcripts professionally evaluated for placement, transfer credit, and legitimacy.


Q. What English language proficiency tests do you accept, and how can I get a waiver?

A. All applicants must request that an official English language proficiency exam score is submitted to the University of Maine at Machias by the testing agency:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based test). Click here for test score submission instructions. UMM’s institution code is 3956.
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – minimum score of 6.5. Click here for information on submitting your test scores.
  • PTE (Pearson Test of English) – minimum score of 53. No institution code.
  • CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) – completed level C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English). No institution code.

Waived language test if:

  • native speaker of English (e.g., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, U.K.)
  • SAT Verbal score is 500 or higher; Click here for information on submitting SAT scores. Institution code: 3956.
  • ACT English score is 21 or higher; Click here for information on submitting ACT scores. Institution code: 1666.
  • high school transcript clearly states that English is the language of instruction of all subjects.
  • student studying in the U.S. or Canada for two or more years and not in an ESL track.
  • student has successfully passed an English Composition course at a U.S. higher education institution with a grade of C or higher, even if student has not studied in the U.S. for two or more years.


Q. As an international student, will I be allowed to work?

A. U.S. immigration regulations allow international students in F-1 status to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and full-time during annual school breaks.


International Student Scholarship

As part of the normal admissions review process, all admitted international students will be considered for the University of Maine at Machias Provost Scholarship of $10,000 which is renewable annually. Scholarship eligibility will be considered based on academic preparation and to ensure geographic diversity. Funds are limited, so applications are encouraged early in the process. For more information, please feel free to contact our admissions office.


Ready to apply?


netpricecalculator-e1459513385529You have several convenient options. The choice is yours. They all quickly land in our Admissions Office, ready for prompt consideration by our staff.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-468-6866 or e-mail