International Student Admissions
The International Student Club and Diversity Committee are active on campus, helping us celebrate the various backgrounds of our students and the enriching experiences that you bring with you.
- Complete one of our applications – the Common Application or the ApplyMaine Application. Applications are currently free!
- Submit one official transcript of all previous secondary/high school. If the document is not in English, submit a certified English translation.
- Submit one official transcript of all previous universities attended. We cannot admit transfer students (outside the United States and Canada) without a professional course-by course evaluation of all university-level work from a professional credential evaluation service. The results of this evaluation must be sent directly to the University of Maine at Machias Admissions office. It is not a guarantee of transfer credit. Two suggested organizations are below:
- Official English language proficiency test scores if you reside in a country where English is not the primary language. (see FAQ below)
- Submit an International Student Declaration of Finances along with supporting documents via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. This documentation must be original, certified, or notarized, and be less than one year old. We cannot admit any international students without this completed form. If submitted with the application, this form expedites the issuing of the I-20 (immigration document).
- Submit a copy of passport ID page and submit via e-mail to email@example.com.
Information will be sent via email for activation of your Maine.edu email and MaineStreet accounts. You will be able to check the status of your application online via Mainestreet once your account has been activated. Please continue to monitor the status of your application through the Self-Service Center in MaineStreet to ensure all supporting materials have been received.
Q. What kind of scholarships are available for undergraduate international students?
A.Our international students are eligible for the same tuition rate and scholarships as our domestic out-of-state students. This changes yearly; you can find the most updated information here
Q.Are SAT or ACT scores required?
A. No, the University of Maine at Machias does not require SAT or ACT scores. However, SAT or ACT scores can often establish admissibility to the university when foreign academic records alone cannot.
Q. Can I attend the University of Maine at Machias for only a semester or a year?
A. We do not have an international exchange program in place at this time.
Q. How quickly will the University of Maine at Machias send me the form (e.g., I-20) I need to apply for my visa?
A. As soon as you have been admitted and established your ability to finance your education, we will prepare the Form I-20 and mail it to you along with information about applying for your visa and preparing to come to the U.S.
Q. Can I submit the International Student Declaration of Finances form after I am accepted?
A. No, we must receive the International Student Declaration of Finances form before issuing your acceptance letter.
Q. Do Canadian commuting students still need to submit an International Student Declaration of Finances?
A. No, Canadian students who live across the border and commute to our campus each day do not have to submit an International Student Declaration of Finances form. However, if circumstances change and you wish to live in our residence halls or elsewhere in the United States, you must notify International Admissions of this change and submit the form.
Q. I do not need transfer credit from my former university. Do I still have to have it professionally evaluated?
A. Yes. We require all international students (except Canada) to have their transcripts professionally evaluated for placement, transfer credit, and legitimacy.
Q. What English language proficiency tests do you accept, and how can I get a waiver?
A. All applicants must request that an official English language proficiency exam score is submitted to the University of Maine at Machias by the testing agency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based test). Click here for test score submission instructions. UMM’s institution code is 3956.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) – minimum score of 6.5. Click here for information on submitting your test scores.
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) – minimum score of 53. No institution code.
- CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) – completed level C1 Advanced (Certificate of Advanced English). No institution code.
Waived language test if:
- native speaker of English (e.g., Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, U.K.)
- SAT Verbal score is 500 or higher; Click here for information on submitting SAT scores. Institution code: 3956.
- ACT English score is 21 or higher; Click here for information on submitting ACT scores. Institution code: 1666.
- high school transcript clearly states that English is the language of instruction of all subjects.
- student studying in the U.S. or Canada for two or more years and not in an ESL track.
- student has successfully passed an English Composition course at a U.S. higher education institution with a grade of C or higher, even if student has not studied in the U.S. for two or more years.
Q. As an international student, will I be allowed to work?
A. U.S. immigration regulations allow international students in F-1 status to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and full-time during annual school breaks.
Ready to apply?
You have several convenient options. The choice is yours. They all quickly land in our Admissions Office, ready for prompt consideration by our staff.
- Apply Online
- Download the application form and mail it to us
- Request a paper copy from our Admissions Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the Common Application
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-468-6866 or e-mail email@example.com.