We have reopened the Office of Admissions and resumed scheduling campus visits. Before you come see us, please read our new guidance for visitors below.
Still looking for virtual options? Visit our Virtual Admissions page or check out our New Student Orientation to learn about UMM from a distance.
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Campus Tours and Office Visits: Rules and expectations for visitors
We are excited to be able to welcome visitors back to the University of Maine at Machias for individual campus visits and group tours. We also are able to accept enrollment deposits, via cash, check or money order, during our regular office hours.
We are taking additional precautions for the health and safety of our community. Before and after all campus tours, facilities will be cleaned in accordance with state and federal health guidelines.
We ask that visitors respect the following guidelines:
- If any member of the visiting group is experiencing fever or symptoms of a respiratory illness, please do NOT come to campus. If you have a tour scheduled, please notify us so that we can reschedule the tour or make alternate arrangements.
- No tour group will be larger than 10 people, including the tour guide.
- Tour groups will refrain from touching anything along the tour. Doors will be opened either by the automatic opener or by the tour guide.
- All guests and tour guides are expected to wear face masks at all times throughout the visit, in both indoor and outdoor spaces. Exceptions to the face mask rule are as follows: Cloth face coverings are not required for:
- Children under age 2
- Anyone who has trouble breathing or related medical conditions
- Anyone who is otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance
- A person who cannot wear a cloth face covering because of a medical condition is not required to produce medical documentation of the condition.
- Visitors who will not be able to wear a face mask for one of these reasons are asked to notify the admissions team prior to the tour.
- Guests will enter through the main entrance of the O’Brien House. Individuals who have requested disability accommodations may enter through an accessible entrance.
- Individuals requiring reasonable accommodations for a disability are asked to notify the admissions team at least two days prior to the tour so that alternate arrangements can be made.
Visitors from Out-of-State:
Visitors travelling from another state are asked to observe the State of Maine’s mandatory 14-day quarantine requirement before visiting campus. As of July 20, visitors from Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey are exempt from these requirements.
Getting to Campus
From points north, follow Route 1 from Houlton to Machias.
From points south and west, follow I-95 to Bangor and exit onto I-395 to Brewer at exit 182A. At the end of I-395, follow route 1A to Ellsworth and then Route 1 to Machias. From southern Maine you may also drive north on I-95 to Augusta and exit onto Route 3 at exit 30, which leads to Belfast in the Penobscot Bay area and joins Route 1; follow Route 1 north to Machias.
From points east, follow Route 1 from Calais to Machias.
Charter flights are available to the Machias Valley Airport (MVM), just 1.5 miles from campus.
Travel to college fairs is expected to be suspended or severely limited for the duration of the semester due to COVID-19 restrictions.
However, many college fairs have moved to a virtual format. Check out what’s coming up on the admissions (virtual) travel calendar!