Commuter Life

The goal of Commuter Life is to help commuter students become active and engaged members of the UMaine Machias community. We know the college experience isn’t confined to classrooms or labs, nor are these the sole locations where learning takes place, so we encourage commuters to take part in campus events and activities, to join a student club and organization (or maybe even two), to attend athletic events or participate in our intramural sports program.

Commuters are an important part of the UMaine Machias community and are strongly encouraged to take full advantage of the many resources and opportunities offered to all UMaine Machias students.

How do we define commuter students?

UMaine Machias defines a commuter student as any student living off campus who commutes to campus for classes and includes traditional, non-traditional, part-time or full-time students.

Parking on Campus

Commuter students will often be in need of on-campus parking. Please visit for more information on the parking policy and to obtain a permit.


Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I find out if classes are cancelled due to weather conditions?

If day classes are to be delayed or cancelled, the Head of Campus will make that final determination by 5:15 a.m. That information will be relayed through various mediums:

  1. A recorded message will be available at UMaine Machias’ campus closing extensions at 207.255.1395.
  2. A notice will be posted on UMaine Machias’ web site, Facebook and Twitter account.
  3. Broadcast television stations WLBZ 2, WABI 5 and WVII 7, and numerous regional radio stations will be contacted.
  4. An email will be sent to the campus community.
  5. A notice will be sent out via Blackboard Alerts, UMaine Machias’ notification system. Click here to sign up for emergency alerts.

A decision to cancel evening classes will typically be made by 1 p.m. This information is made available by the same ways listed above.

What happens if classes are delayed, but not cancelled? Information will be made available via the channels listed above. The announcement will state the time at which classes begin and our normal schedule will be followed for the rest of that day. For example, if the university doesn’t open until 10 a.m. on a Monday, neither 8 a.m. nor 9 a.m. classes will meet on that day. Please note that the Murdock Fitness and Aquatics Center will be closed or have a delayed opening when UMaine Machias does.  For example, if UMaine Machias opens at 10 a.m., the Murdock Fitness and Aquatics Center will open at 10 a.m.

Can commuter students apply for financial aid?

Yes, commuter students are eligible for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office, 1st floor of Powers Hall, by calling 207.255.1203 or by emailing for more information.

Where can I eat on campus?

Kilburn Commons is our dining hall and is open Monday–Friday during the academic year for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and Saturday–Sunday for brunch and dinner. Kilburn closes during extended university vacations. Meal plans are available to purchase. Plans range from a block of ten meals to 75 meals and are good for the entire academic year. More information about commuter meal plans is available in Kilburn Commons.

The C-Store in Kilburn Commons offers grab-and-go beverages, snacks, frozen items as well as some prepared sandwiches and salads.

What are the hours for the Reynolds Center?

You can find the Reynolds Center hours by clicking here:

Can my family utilize the Fitness Center and the pool?

Students may use the Fitness Center and the pool free of charge.  Family members may purchase day passes or memberships to these facilities. For more information, visit the Reynolds Center or call 255.1403.

Can commuter students join clubs and organizations on campus?

Yes, commuter students can participate in any and all extracurricular activities on campus. Contact the Campus Activities Office at for more information.

Can commuter students access UMaine Machias' Mental Health Counselor?

Yes! Commuter students can access this resource. More information about each of these services can be found at:

How can I request accommodations for a disability, including a temporary disability?

The Student Accessibility Office focuses on coordinating services for our students with permanent or temporary documented disabilities. We extend reasonable accommodations and provide services designed to meet the individual need of each student. “Student Success” is our motto, and our individualized, supportive approach encourages students to advocate for themselves while developing the skills and empowerment to reach their academic and professional goals. Please contact Student Accessibility Services at 207-581-2319,

What is a University Card, and what is it used for?

Your University Card is your official University of Maine at Machias identification card. The card grants you access to the 24-Hour Room, is your borrowing card for the Merrill Library and can be used in Kilburn Commons for meal plan purchases. The card also functions as a prepaid debit card and holds your “Bear Bucks” for purchases on campus.

How do I request/pick up my University Card?

Please contact the Office of Student Life at 207.255.1320.

What are Bear Bucks?

Bear Bucks are prepaid funds which are linked to your University Card — just like a debit card. Bear Bucks are used to pay for printing on campus or can be used to purchase coffee, snacks, and other items from Kilburn Commons. They can also be used as dining funds if you have depleted your account balance for the semester. When making a purchase at Kilburn Commons, be sure to specify whether you would like the purchase to use Bear Bucks or dining dollars.

How do I add Bear Bucks to my University Card?

Bear Bucks can be added via debit or credit card online by clicking here.

I've lost my University Card... What do I do now?

There is a $20 replacement fee for lost University cards. Contact the Office of Student Life to request a replacement, 207.255.1320.