Residence Halls and Amenities

Residence Halls

  • Dorward Hall

Dorward Hall is our only residence hall open for the 2019-2020 academic year and includes traditional double rooms, singles, a limited number of deluxe singles, as well as suites (two traditional doubles with a shared common space and bathroom). Each floor is equipped with gender-neutral bathrooms and showers (with lockable stalls) unless the floor is designated as a single-gender floor. There is one study room located on the second floor in addition to two main lounges. The Basement/Ground Floor Lounge includes a kitchen with electric stove, microwave, sink, and refrigerator, as well as a pool table, an air hockey table, and a television. The first floor lounge includes extra tables and chairs for studying and other use as well as a television.

  • Sennett Hall

In order to best serve our students and our campus community, Sennett Hall is offline for the 2019-2020 academic year and is projected to stay offline for the 2020-2021 academic year. At this time, all residents are placed in Dorward Hall. Sennett Hall will reopen in the future when the demand for housing increases.


  • Rooms are equipped with regular size twin beds – 36″ x 80″ mattresses, desks, dressers, wardrobes, mirrors, desk chairs, bookcases, and curtains.
  • Both halls have laundry rooms. Washers and dryers run off funds on students’ Clipper Cards.
  • Both halls have WiFi as well as Ethernet Internet access.
  • Each hall has its own mailroom where students receive their packages and mail.
  • Halls have large social spaces and quiet study spaces.
  • Exterior doors to both residence halls are locked 24/7 and are only accessible to residents with a valid key card.


Residence Hall Association (RHA) is the student body which advocates for particular needs and issues concerning students life and living environment in the residence halls. RHA works with Residential Education and Commuter Life staff to ensure the best possible living experience at UMM.

All students are invited to attend RHA meetings. Elections for executive positions are held every Fall Semester towards the end of September. Becoming involved is a great way to build leadership skills, meet new people, advocate for your peers and looks good on a resume.

Live On Requirement

The University of Maine at Machias believes that living on campus is an integral part of a student’s experience and aides students in their transition to UMM. We believe that living together in a community provides students with opportunities to interact with peers, faculty, and staff and enhances their social, cultural, and interpersonal growth as global citizens through shared living experiences.

Furthermore, residing on campus enhances a student’s prospects for academic excellence, since they are more likely to use campus resources such as the Library, Study Center, or tutoring services; receive academic and emotional support from staff, faculty, and other students; and become more engaged in the campus community.

In support of this philosophy, UMM requires first-year students to live on campus unless they meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Live, or have lived within 50 miles of campus for at least six months preceding the date of first enrollment and reside at that address with their parent(s)/guardian(s);
  • Are married;
  • Are 21 years old;
  • Are a military veteran;
  • Are enrolled part-time (students who claim off campus status due to part-time enrollment and who return to full-time status during the current or a subsequent semester, will be charged the current room and board rate); and/or
  • Are the parent or legal guardian of a child.

Students who are eligible to claim commuter status, must submit a written request to the Office of Residential Education and identify the above criteria they meet. Once the request is received, the Office of Residential Education will review it and make a determination.

Suggested Packing List

Wondering what to bring with you to UMM? View our suggested packing list.