The UMaine Machias disc golf course is a 9 hole, 2980-feet, par-29 course that runs throughout the campus. The course features a variety of hole distances and settings, providing challenges for beginner and advanced players alike.
The first tee box is located directly behind the gazebo on campus.
Scorecards and disc sets are available for check-out to students, faculty, staff and even local community members at the O’Brien House. Residential students may also pick up equipment in the mail rooms of Dorward and Sennett. Players are welcome to use their own discs to play.
Rules and policies
- Each hole begins at the tee
- Subsequent throws are made from where the disc comes to rest (lie)
- Hole is finished when disc is supported by chains or basket
- Player farthest from target throws first
- Lowest score from previous hole tees off first
Basic rules of play
- At least one foot on tee for first throw
- On fairway, throw from a spot in line with the target and 12″ behind the lie
- A run up and follow through are always allowed, except within 10 meters of the target, which is considered a putt
- Casual relief should be taken from an unsafe lie
- Do not attempt to retrieve discs lost in the pond
- Full rules of play and instructional videos are available at the Disc Golf Association website.
Courtesy and etiquette
- Avoid making loud noises or sudden movements while someone else is playing
- Stand behind the player who is throwing until the throw is complete
- Allow faster groups to play through
- Players must yield the right of way to pedestrian and other activities
- Do not vandalize targets, signs, equipment, and landscaping
Click here to access an interactive disc golf course map, created by a student in UMaine Machias’ geographic information systems laboratory.