Laptop Loan and Usage Policy
The Merrill Library has 5 laptops available for short-term loan to students. This service is not available to faculty, staff, alumni, consortium members, or other guests.
- Laptops will be circulated in a carrying case and will include a power adapter (with cord).
- Only current UMM students with no blocks on their library account can borrow a laptop.
- A Clipper Card ID is required to check out equipment.
- Loans are on a first-come-first-served basis.
- The loan period is three (3) days.
- The laptop may be renewed if there is one or more laptops available for check-out.
- Only one laptop will be checked out per person.
- By checking out the laptop you agree to the laptop loan agreement below (a copy is also attached to the laptop).
- All 3 items (laptop plus charger and carrying case) must be returned at the same time and handed to a library staff member, or library student assistant so it can be removed from your library account.
- Laptops may be taken out of the library.
- Patrons who return a laptop after the due date will accrue late fees.
- Patrons who do not return a laptop will be billed for the replacement cost 6 days after the due date. This charge is non-refundable.
- Usage is subject to the UMM IT Appropriate Use Agreement, posted online at: https://mycampus.maine.edu/group/umm/acceptable-use-policy
- We strongly advise you not to leave the laptop unattended. If stolen or lost, you will be responsible for its replacement. Policy adopted September 19, 2016
- Report any problems with the laptop to the library staff when you return it.
- Remember to upload documents to the cloud and sign out of any applications before returning your loaner laptop to the library. Email work to yourself or save using Google Drive or Box.
Printing to Library printers is available from the laptop.
- You must return the laptop to the Merrill Library.
- Do not put the laptop in the book return. Library hours are found on the bulletin board in the lobby, on the library’s webpage and at 255-1234.
- All 3 items (laptop plus charger and carrying case) must be returned at the same time and handed to a library staff member or student library staff member so it can be removed from your library account.
- If the laptop is returned after the due date, overdue fines will accrue. If the laptop is not returned, replacement charges will be assessed.
By checking out the laptop you agree to the loan agreement below. Please read it carefully before checking the laptop out. Please note that you will be responsible for any damage or replacement fees, up to the full replacement cost of the laptop or the accessories.
Laptop Loan Agreement UMaine-Machias Merrill Library
By checking out the laptop and accessories, I understand:
- The loan period is for three (3) days.
- Overdue charges accumulate after the due date/time.
- I will reimburse University of Maine at Machias for the cost of repairing/replacing this laptop and/or accessories if they are lost, stolen, or damaged while checked out on my library account.
- The replacement cost for the Laptop is approximately $700, the power cord $50 and the carrying case $25; if damaged or lost.
- I will comply with the UMM IT Acceptable Use Policy.
- The laptop must be returned directly to a Library staff member, or a student staff member at the Merrill Library Circulation Desk and must not be returned at a book drop.
- If I keep the laptop past the due date, the library reserves the right to suspend my library privileges, to charge my account for the maximum overdue fines and full replacement costs which may be non-refundable and adjusted to reflect actual replacement costs.