Materials available for loan through the Circulation Desk includes the general collection, New books, Maine Collection, Juvenile Collection, Oversize Collection, Young Adult Collection, and Reserve Collection. Reference materials and journals do not circulate.
University of Maine at Machias borrowers must be currently enrolled or employed at the University; they must present their University of Maine at Machias Clipper Card to borrow books or use the Reserve collection. University of Maine System borrowers (students and employees from other campuses), must be currently enrolled or employed by the system, and must present their university library identification card to borrow books or use the Reserve collection. Courtesy Card patrons must have a current record at Merrill Library and must present their Courtesy card to borrow books.
General collection loan periods for the following card holders:
- UMaine-Machias Undergraduate – 28 days
- UMaine-Machias Faculty – Semester
- UMaine-Machias Courtesy – 28 days
- Other University of Maine System Students, Staff – 28 days
- Other University of Maine System Faculty – Semester
- Maine State & Bangor Public Library – 28 days
Most material is renewable, and all material is subject to recall after two weeks, or immediately if needed for Reserve.
UMaine-Machias students, faculty, and staff update their contact information in MaineStreet; however, inform Circulation staff (firstname.lastname@example.org), of updates as well given that changes in MaineStreet are not immediately reflected in the library database. Other cardholders should inform their home library.
Merrill Library accepts identification cards from all URSUS/UMS Libraries and other Maine Libraries. All cards, including Clipper Cards, must be entered into the library patron database before library services (e.g. book check-out, remote database access, requesting materials through URSUS) can be used. Circulation staff will link the library barcode on your Clipper Card to your record in the library database upon request.
Due to licensing agreements with database vendors, the only card that provides online access to licensed indexes and databases is the University Clipper Card. Other cardholders may search online databases from within the library, but not from remote locations.
Lost and Found is located at the Circulation Desk. Items are held for approximately three months. Valuable items are sent to UMaine-Machias Safety Office.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy. Merrill Library sends courtesy reminder notices (5 days prior to date due), first overdue notices, recall notices, hold pick-up, and cancellation notices via email. Merrill will use an email address from student records and payroll. If none is provided, the above notices will be sent regular mail, as will invoices and statements. Courtesy reminder notices are sent via email only.
- Failure to receive notification of an overdue item does not relieve the borrower of penalties.
- A $45.00 replacement charge for non-return of the material will be applied to the borrowers record.
- All fines and replacement charges incurred by University of Maine at Machias students for Merrill material are debited to their University account and are due to the University. Faculty, staff, and other cardholders must pay fines and replacement charges for Merrill Library material at the University of Maine at Machias Bursar’s Office. Charges incurred by any borrower and due to other University of Maine System libraries may also be paid at the Bursar’s Office.
- Borrowing privileges may be suspended as a result of fines and replacement fees.
All material requested through Interlibrary Loan, the URSUS request function, Maine InfoNet, or from Merrill Library holds and recalls are held at the Circulation Desk for two weeks. Bring your library ID card to borrow material held at Circulation.
- Along with other campus departments the Library has implemented a print management system. PaperCut has been installed on the printers in the Library. Students and staff must place a minimum of $5 on their Clipper Card – see Clipper Bucks – Add Funds in order to print. The print management system tracks usage and will show the printing funds balance each time you swipe your card. The printing charge at the library is $0.04 per page.
- Photocopying at Merrill library also uses the Clipper Card for payment. The copying charges come from the Clipper Card PaperCut account . You can add money to your Clipper Card at the Student Services office, online, via the Clipper Bucks – Add Funds, or in the Bursar’s office. The photocopying charge at the library is $0.08 per page.
- If an item is checked out to another borrower, Circulation staff will recall it for your use, after the first borrower has had the item for two weeks. Note: the library cannot provide any information about the person who has the book checked out.
- If an item has the status “available” in URSUS, but is not on the shelf, Circulation staff will search the stacks and mail a notification to you when the item is located.
- Cardholder required to request renewals.
- Renew materials online, by email (email@example.com), by telephone (207.255.1362, or 207.255.1234), at the Circulation Desk, or by mail:Circulation Department
University of Maine at Machias
116 O’Brien Avenue
Machias, ME 04654
- Renewal requests by email or mail must include your name, library card barcode number, and the items to be renewed.
- Renewals are denied for the following reasons: item is on hold for another patron; item has been billed for replacement; item has been renewed too many times; borrowing privileges have been blocked; library account has expired.
- Items billed for replacement and those with too many renewals must be brought to the Circulation Desk for renewal.
- Book return is located at the Circulation Desk. Outside book return is located adjacent to south Torrey Hall entrance.
- Reserve materials are returned to the Circulation Desk.
- Audio/Video equipment are returned to the Circulation Desk.
- Materials may also be returned by mail to the library or returned to any University of Maine System library or center.
- Return receipts are available upon request.
Borrowing privileges are suspended when charges have been incurred or when books are overdue and not returned. Please see Circulation staff for assistance with blocked records.
You may view your own circulation record from the library home page at https://ursus.maine.edu/patroninfo. This allows you to:
- display the items currently checked out on your record
- display any items currently on hold for you
- display unpaid fines and replacement charges
- renew your own books
- print your record
- opt-in to saving your reading history
- opt-in to receiving SMS text notices
Do not leave your record on the screen (we recommend closing the browser window). Do not share your identification card or barcode number.