Updated April 4, 2022
Entering the facility
- Fitness center access is open to students/faculty/staff and members. Day passes are available.
- Photo ID is required; members must sign in at the front desk.
- Face coverings are no longer required, but members are welcome to continue to wear them if they wish.
Fitness center (exercise rooms)
- The University no longer has a social distancing requirement, but members may be asked to wait to use spaces if the number of people excessed the room fire code.
- Please be respectful of other members by limiting your workout time to around 2 hours.
- Please continue to wash or sanitize your hands frequently.
- Please clean the machines or weights before and after you use them.
- Please do not move equipment or weights from where they have been placed.
- Please bring a second pair of shoes to wear inside the facility. No outdoor shoes are allowed in the exercise and weight rooms. No outdoor shoes are allowed on exercise equipment.
- The aquatics center is currently open during limited hours.
- Face coverings are no longer required, but members are welcome to continue to wear them if they wish.
- The locker rooms are available for use.
- Swim lanes are first come, first serve. No reservation is needed. If pool capacity is reached, customers will need to wait until others leave and staff says the pool is now available.
General Facility Use: In consideration for other users, please use all Reynolds Center facilities in the manner for which they are intended. Additionally, please refer to the policies below.
Code of Conduct:
University of Maine at Machias Reynolds Center has specific rules and regulations for its programs, services and indoor/outdoor facilities. We also expect all those using our facilities to exhibit good citizenship and responsible behavior. Use of University of Maine at Machias recreational facilities is a privilege and users are expected to respect the rights of others. Individuals who engage in behavior which violates our policies may be subject to disciplinary action as outlined in the University of Maine System Student Conduct Code (PDF), policies of Human Resources and other University of Maine at Machias and System Policies, and/or state and federal law. Under our Code of Conduct, Reynolds Center participants are expected to:
- Respect and comply with the instructions of the Reynolds Center employees in the performance of their official duties.
- Utilize facilities, equipment, and programs in the manner of intended use and without disrupting the activities of others in Reynolds Center facilities.
- Adhere to the rules and policies set by the Reynolds Center and the University in its facilities and programs.
- Act in a safe, responsible manner regarding themselves and others.
Participants engaging in behavior which violates Reynolds Center/University policies in the Recreational facilities may have their usage privileges revoked and could face possible University disciplinary action and/or law enforcement action.
Please join with us in making the Reynolds Center a place for everyone. Thank you.
Alcohol and Other Drugs:
Alcoholic beverages, and illegal and performance enhancing drugs, may not be brought into or used in any Reynolds Center facilities. For safety reasons, individuals may not use Reynolds Center facilities or participate in programs while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Exceptions include alcoholic beverages at University catered functions and special events.
Only certified guide or personal assistant animals are permitted in Reynolds Center facilities.
At a minimum, please wear shorts, shirts, and closed-toe athletic shoes in all Reynolds Center facilities, with the exception of the pool and outdoor areas. Non-marking court shoes must be worn on basketball and racquetball courts, and in multipurpose rooms. For health/sanitation reasons, bare feet are not allowed anywhere except the locker rooms and pools. Please strongly consider wearing sandals in the pools and locker room areas anytime you are not actually in the water. Please wear appropriate swimwear in the pools, spa, and sauna, and change into suitable attire before using other areas of the facility.
Bicycles, Roller Skates, Rollerblades and Skateboards:
For everyone’s safety, bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, and roller skates may not be brought inside the Reynolds Center facilities.
For safety and security reasons, the use of cell phones is not allowed in locker rooms, bathrooms, or sauna, and not recommended while using fitness equipment. Additionally, their use may be restricted in some specific programs for privacy and safety reasons.
All areas including locker rooms must be vacated by closing time each night. Reminders will be given as the closing time nears. A final announcement will be made when the facility closes. Fifteen minutes prior to closing, all checked-out equipment must be returned, and all lockers must be emptied.
Engaging in commercial activities (the actual selling of goods and services) is prohibited within all Reynolds Center facilities except as permitted by facility rental policies and/or contracts.
It is the policy and practice of the University of Maine at Machias to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the state and local requirements regarding people with disabilities. Under these laws, no qualified individual with a disability shall be denied access to or participation in services, programs, and activities of The University of Maine at Machias. The Reynolds Center is designed to accommodate patrons of varying abilities. The Reynolds Center staff are available to provide accommodations to members with disabilities. Members are encouraged to contact us to help ensure that their request for accommodation is met.
If a Personal Assistant / Caregiver (“Assistant”) is required, the following guidelines will apply:
- The Assistant will be listed under the member with disability (“Member”) in the membership database for tracking purposes, but s/he will not be included on the membership.
- The Assistant accommodation is not a membership and therefore the Assistant has limited access to the Reynolds Center facilities, and is not eligible for member discounts or benefits.
- The Assistant may only assist the Member in recreation and/or fitness activities, the Assistant may not themselves recreate or work out.
- Both the Member, and the Assistant must adhere to all Reynolds Center policies.
- Per Reynolds Center facility entry policy, the Assistant will be checked into the facility with her/his Photo ID; her/his visit will be recorded under her/his Liability Waiver.
- Please contact Hope Shore (255-1320) to begin the Assistant Accommodation request process.
Electrical Storm Policy – Swimming Pool:
Due to the threat of electrocution from a lightning strike, the swimming pool will close in the event of a lightning storm. The Reynolds Center has taken the recommendation of the National Lightning Safety Institute and the American Red Cross to close all indoor swimming facilities during an electrical storm. When the first lightning strike is seen or thunder heard, the pools will be cleared and area closed. The pools will reopen 30 minutes after the last lightning is seen or thunder heard. Patrons can congregate in the locker rooms or (if properly attired) in the lobby until the pool reopens. The showers will be unavailable while the pool is closed during thunder and lightning storms.
Facility Closures / Inclement Weather:
Areas of the Reynolds Center may be closed and/or restricted from time to time. Most of these closures and restrictions will be due to special events, classes, cleaning and maintenance, reservations, or inclement weather. Scheduled closures will be posted one week in advance whenever possible. Unscheduled or emergency closures will be posted to the appropriate Facebook page.
- Inclement Weather During the Academic Year: If UMM remains open, then all Reynolds Center programming runs as scheduled, and our facilities remain open. If UMM closes, then all Reynolds Center programming is canceled and the Reynolds Center is closed.
- Inclement Weather During Breaks: If UMM remains open, then all Reynolds Center programming runs as scheduled, and our facilities remain open. If UMM closes, our facilities will close.
For entry to any Reynolds Center facility, in addition to signing a General Use Liability Waiver and having a membership or day pass:
- Anyone aged 18+ must present a Clipper Card or a government issued picture ID card.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian or other responsible adult who is 18+.
- Anyone aged 0-13 must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult guardian, who presents their own Clipper Card or a government issued picture ID card and vouches for the child’s identity.
Food and Drinks:
Please, no glass containers. Food is permitted in lobby and lounge areas only. Water is allowed in activity areas only if it is in an enclosed, unbreakable container. Exceptions to these restrictions include University-catered functions and special events.
For your safety, only Reynolds Center staff may move equipment in the Reynolds Center facilities.
Personal/portable music devices, such as phones, MP3 players, and boom boxes are allowed only when used with head phones.
Open recreation hours are available for all members to engage in various recreational activities on a first-come, first-served basis.
Personal Belongings / Lost And Found:
The Reynolds Center cannot be responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal property. Please lock your valuable personal belongings in a day locker. Unsecured belongings may be considered abandoned property and turned in to lost and found.
Lost And Found items must be claimed in person by the individual who lost it. Items can not be “set aside” via phone or email or claimed by a friend.
After a week lost and found items will be donated or disposed of.
Personal Training, Teaching, Instructing:
Teaching, training, and otherwise instructing at the Reynolds Center facilities is allowed only by employees of the Reynolds Center or by written permission of the Director of Student Life.
To protect individual privacy, photography and/or videotaping are not allowed unless prior written authorization is obtained from the Director of Student Life or his/her designee.
Smoking tobacco products are not permitted anywhere on the University of Maine at Machias campus.
The Reynolds Center supports and values an individual’s right to access and utilize recreation facilities, restrooms, locker rooms, programs, and services in accordance with an individual’s gender identity and gender expression. Individuals shall be permitted to participate in programs and and activities in accordance with that person’s consistently asserted gender identity.
Our family policy encourages patrons to bring children to use the Reynolds Center for drop-in recreational use any time these facilities are open. A parent or legal guardian must sign a Liability Waiver for all children under 18 years of age prior to the first use of the facility or programs.
Special policies related to children are in place. See below.
- Infants may not be left in carriers while their guardian exercises nearby.
- Carriages / strollers are not permitted in the basketball court.
- Children aged 0-13 must have direct and hands-on parental or parental-approved 18+ year old guardian supervision at all times.
- Children aged 0-4 may be brought into the opposite gender locker room. If you are bringing a child with you who is of the opposite gender and 5+ years old, please use the Family/Assisted bathroom located in the pool access hallway.
- Age 0-5 years: For health and safety reasons, children of these ages are not permitted at any time in the weight areas or cardio area.
- Age 6-11 years: For health and safety reasons, children of these ages are not permitted in weight or cardio areas. Exception: Children of this age who are enrolled in fitness programs are permitted in all areas while under direct supervision of our fitness staff.
- Age 12-13 years: With proper direct supervision, children of this age are permitted in all areas. For safety reasons, they may not supervise other children.
- Age 14 -17 years: Youth in this age range are permitted in all areas without supervision.
Safety and Emergency Response
All Reynolds Center employees who are on-duty in the Reynolds Center during hours of operation are certified with First Aid and Professional Rescuer CPR/AED. In the event of a medical emergency inside theses facility, please notify Reynolds Center staff immediately and they will assess the patient and determine what medical treatment is needed.
For non-emergency aid such as ice and band aids, please go to the Front Desk. Please also immediately inform Reynolds Center staff of any unsafe condition, suspicious activity, or maintenance/ custodial needs.