Chair, Division of Environmental and Biological Sciences
- Flexible and affordable. Complete your degree fully online, on campus, or both. For more information about enrolling as an online student, visit UMM Online.
- Through a 4+1 partnership with the Spatial Informatics graduate program at the University of Maine, environmental GIS students with a minimum 3.25 GPA will have the opportunity to apply to take graduate-level coursework online and complete a master’s degree in just one year. Learn more about this program.
- At UMM’s GIS Laboratory and Service Center, students are involved in projects that have real impacts on local environmental policy, such as flood plain mapping for climate change research.
- Qualifying Maine students may earn tuition-free credits toward this degree while they’re still in high school. For more information, visit the Early College site.
- Students are encouraged to research the environmental issues that interest them, becoming effective advocates and influencers.
Interested in earning a GIS certificate? Learn about our fully online GIS Applications certificates.
Earn your bachelor's degree on campus or 100% online.
Prepare for an exciting career in the growing field of geospatial technology. UMM is the first public university in Maine to offer a four-year program in Environmental Geographic Information Science.
Through our Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Laboratory and Service Center, students will learn to apply GIS analysis to a broad range of real-life scenarios, from urban planning, to land conservation, to assessing regional vulnerabilty to climate change.
Choose one of three concentrations to hone your skills in a specific sector of environmental GIS:
- Community Applications
- Ecological Applications
- Spatial Data Sciences