Faculty President and Vice President
UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT MACHIAS
Policy & Procedures Manual
SUBJECT: ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE & RELATIONSHIPS SECTION II
DATE: 1/92, 5/96, 6/00, /05
SECTION: Faculty President and Vice President
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR FACULTY PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT
- Need not be tenured, but must be on tenure track.
- May also be a division chair.
- May also be the Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees.
- May not the President or Vice President of UMM.
- May serve no more than two consecutive terms.
- Must have been a faculty member of UMM for at least three years.
- If a member of a standing committee is elected Faculty President or Vice President, he or she must resign from the standing committee and be immediately replaced.
ROLES FOR FACULTY PRESIDENT
- Develop agenda in cooperation with committee chairs, administration, and faculty.
- Chair meetings.
- Coordinate preparation, review and distribution of minutes.
- Review faculty actions with administration.
- Report administrative actions on faculty recommendations to the faculty.
- See that timely elections occur for Faculty Standing Committees.
- Assist UMM President and the Vice President for Academic Affairs by recommending faculty to serve on Ad-hoc committees, search committees, etc.
- Serve as Faculty Marshall for UMM graduation ceremony.
- Represent Faculty at special events/activities, i.e. Board of Trustees receptions, visiting team receptions.
- Serve on committee to select Buswell Award recipient.
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested by the President and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Prepare an annual fall report to be presented to the Faculty Meeting and which shall include lists of officers and Standing Committees of the Faculty, a summary of actions of the Faculty adopted by the administration since the last report, and other information of continuing importance at the discretion of the Faculty President.
- Before the first faculty meeting of the academic year, work with the Human Resources office to compile a list of voting faculty members.
ROLES FOR FACULTY VICE PRESIDENT
- Review workload of committees with standing committee chairs, to avoid duplication and make assignments of tasks to committees.
- In absence of the President, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the Faculty President.
- Administer the Faculty Fund and its related activities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Faculty President or by majority vote of the faculty body.