High School vs. College Accommodations

Initiating Accommodations

  • In college, the student is responsible for initiating the accommodation process.
  • For a smooth transition, contact the Manager of Student Accessibility Services prior to enrollment.
  • Provide the manager with documentation and diagnosis from a qualified professional.
  • The manager will interview you and read your documentation to make a determination.
  • Once a determination is made students receive copies of their accommodation letters.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to contact his/her instructors to activate accommodations.
  • The manager is available for mediation, and academic support.
  • Students need to reactivate the accommodations each semester to continue services.

What documentation is needed and who provides it?

  • It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation for the determination of services.
  • Documentation must be certified by a qualified professional in the relevant area of disability: medical doctor, licensed psychologist, or clinical counselor.
  • Certified documentation must be written on professional stationery, and signed and dated.  See the documentation link.
  • Documentation must include the diagnosis of a physical, psychiatric, or learning disability.
  • For a learning disability, documentation must include testing results and analysis.
  • For a physical disability, documentation must include a description of functional limitations.
  • For a psychiatric disability, documentation must include symptoms and specific needs.
  • Although not required, suggestions for accommodations related to the disability are helpful.