How Do I Get to Machias?
UMM is located about one hour from the Bar Harbor Airport and two hours from Bangor International Airport. Several major airlines service these terminals, providing transportation directly to Portland, Boston and New York. There are two small private bus companies that provide bus service from Machias to points east and west, connecting with other bus lines and air transportation.
From points north, follow Route 1 from Houlton to Machias.
From points south and west, follow I-95 to Bangor and exit onto I-395 to Brewer at exit 182A. At the end of I-395, follow route 1A to Ellsworth and then Route 1 to Machias. From southern Maine you may also drive north on I-95 to Augusta and exit onto Route 3 at exit 30, which leads to Belfast in the Penobscot Bay area and joins Route 1; follow Route 1 north to Machias.
From points east, follow Route 1 from Calais to Machias.
How Far Away is it?
Here are distances from some larger cities and other travel destinations:
- 65 miles from Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor
- 65 miles from St. Stephen, New Brunswick
- 85 miles from Bangor, Maine
- 135 miles from Houlton, Maine
- 200 miles from Portland, Maine
- 300 miles from Boston, MA
- 500 miles from New York City, NY
- 600 km from Quebec, Canada
- 200 km from Montreal, Canada