UMM’s tobacco-free campus policy applies to all students, employees, contractors, and visitors.
- Tobacco use is defined as the smoking or use of any tobacco products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, spitless and smokeless tobacco, chew, snuff, and any nicotine-delivery devices that are non–FDA approved as cessation products.
- This policy prohibits tobacco use in UMM buildings, at indoor and outdoor UMM-sponsored events, on UMM-owned or leased grounds, in UMM-owned or leased vehicles, and in personal vehicles on UMM property.
- Organizers of, and attendees at, public events such as conferences, meetings, and/or athletics events on UMM-owned or leased property are required to abide by this policy.
- UMM prohibits the sale and free distribution of tobacco products on campus grounds and all UMM-sponsored events. Tobacco advertisements are prohibited in all UMM publications.
As with other UMM policies, compliance is expected of all employees, students, and visitors.
- Initial enforcement will involve education, awareness, interventions, and referrals for tobacco-cessation support. Existing progressive disciplinary procedures will then be used as necessary and appropriate for violations. Please contact your supervisor, Human Resources (employees), or Student Life (students) for assistance regarding specific enforcement concerns.
- The policy will be communicated in appropriate UMM publications and contracts. Administrators, supervisors, department chairpersons, residence life staff, and event sponsors will communicate the policy within their areas of responsibility.
- Appropriate signage will be posted at campus facilities, on the Web site, and elsewhere to inform students, employees, and campus visitors of UMM’s tobacco-free policy.
- UMM will provide access to tobacco-cessation resources for students and employees.