The University of Maine System invites all students to participate in Education Design Lab‘s BadgedToHire initiative. The global economy is changing—badges earned from these free and self-paced courses prove to employers that you have the skills they are looking for.
What is a micro-credential?
A micro-credential is a verified credential earned when learners demonstrate what they know and are able to do related to a specific area of study. They show their understanding through evidence and application. Micro-credentials are made up of stacked digital badges along a pathway that highlight the skills needed to be successful.
Each UMS micro-credential is designed to take a learner from foundational knowledge and rigorous training, to application in a real-world work-setting. You can earn three levels of badges taking you from foundational learning to application of that learning. When you earn the final stacked macro-badge in your pathway you have earned the UMS micro-credential.
Why should I earn an UMS micro-credential?
86% of hiring managers indicate that it is “very important” that recent graduates demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge and skills in real-world settings and only 39% think recent graduates are well-prepared to apply skills in real-world settings. Hart Research Associates. Fulfilling the American Dream: Liberal Education and the Future of Work (Washington, D.C.: AAC&U, 2018)
- Obtain a valued UMS credential
- Makes your competencies visible, beyond what is seen on a transcript or resume
- Demonstrate skills in real-world settings
- Upskill for greater marketability
- Gain work experience and received valuable performance feedback
- Differentiate yourself and stand out to employers
- Better articulate the skills you developed to potential employers
- Enhances your digital identity
- Share your badges and be recognized!
All badges can be shared on social media and professional sites, such as LinkedIn as well as on your website, e-portfolio or resume!
UMS Career Prepared Learning Pathway
Explore the possibilities.
This micro-credential pathway is designed to help you develop your career goals and build career-related skills. Your pathway is completely personalized based on what you articulate in your career action plan.
There are three levels to earning the full micro-credential (click on each icon for more information):
- Current UMM Student
- Has completed ENG 101 (or is currently enrolled)
- Identify your values, interests and transferable skills
- Create a personalized career action plan
- Participate in career exploration activities outlined in your personalized plan
- Earn a 21st Century Skill Badge along the way (see below)
- Gain experience and contacts in your field of interest!
COST & DELIVERY MODE
- This micro-credential is completely FREE and self-paced!
HOW DO I START?
To begin Level 1 of the UMS Career Pathway, please contact:
- Jo Ellen Scribner, Career Manager