Updating Your Personal Information

Official Name Changes

A student who wishes to change his/her legal name in UMS’s Student Information System must provide a copy of one of the following documents showing the new name:

  • Social Security or Social Insurance card
  • State Driver’s license or state-issued photo ID
  • Passport
  • Military identification card
  • Other legal name change documentation showing new and former name

Matriculated students should submit this documentation to the Registrar’s Office.  Applicants for admission who have not yet been matriculated should submit the appropriate documentation to the Admissions Office.

Please noteMost marriage certificates do not include the spouses’ new names and will not be accepted as name change documentation.

Preferred Name & Legal Name

Where Preferred Name is used

The University of Maine System recognizes that many members of its community use first names other than their legal names to identify themselves. For some students and employees, a chosen or preferred name may be an important component of their identity. Therefore, the University of Maine System allows students to enter a Preferred Name through MaineStreet Self-Service.

When selecting a Preferred Name, students will want to consider all the potential implications of their choice. Preferred Name will appear in the following places and documents:

  • Student ID card*
  • Student Email Display Name
  • Class Roster
  • Grade Roster
  • Your advisor’s Advising Center
  • Learning Management Systems (i.e. Blackboard)
  • MaineStreet Student Services Center (below Primary Name)
  • Press Releases (i.e. published Dean’s List)
  • Reports and/or lists generated for academic purposes
  • Responses to requests made under Maine Freedom of Access Act
  • Social Media sites

* A one-time waiver of the fee to update the Student ID card with the preferred name will be provided.  Subsequent changes will result in an applicable fee.

Where Legal Name is used

Students who enter a Preferred Name in MaineStreet also need to understand that their primary, legal, name will appear on the following University documents:

  • Legal documents and reports produced by the University (i.e. enrollment reports to the National Student Clearinghouse, enrollment list for student insurance)
  • Applications for admission
  • Student Account statements (bills)
  • Financial Aid, Scholarship and Loan documents
  • Transcripts (official and unofficial)
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Degree Verifications
  • Degree Progress Report
  • Student Employment documents
  • Responses to requests made under the Solomon Amendment
  • Employment verifications
  • Employment documents
  • Paychecks, W2’s and other payroll documents
  • Reports sent to Internal Revenue Service, Social Security Administration and other federal reporting agencies

Graduating students have the option of specifying the name they wish to be used on their diplomas.

Adding a Preferred Name

To enter a Preferred Name in MaineStreet:

  • Go to http://mainestreet.maine.edu.
  • Navigate to your Student Center.
  • Select the link labelled “Demographic Data” under “Personal Information.”
  • Select the “Names” tab.
  • Click the green “Edit” button.
  • Add or change your Preferred Name.

Email Account Name Change

Changing your name in MaineStreet or adding a Preferred Name won’t have any effect on your maine.edu User Name and password.  To request a change to your maine.edu email address, go to:  http://mail.maine.edu and select Change Your UMS User Account User Name.

If you are hoping to have your email address based on your Preferred Name, you may need to contact the campus IT office for assistance.


Students can update their address information from their MaineStreet Student Center.  Students should update their Mailing Address if they are living off-campus, to make sure that the University has a good local address each semester.


Students who wish to declare a formal change of gender may submit a Request to Change Gender in the MaineStreet database to the UMM Registrar’s Office.