An Incomplete is a temporary grade indicating that specific arrangements have been made with the instructor to complete work by a later date not to exceed 210 days after the end of the term. An “I” which is not removed by the prearranged date is replaced with the grade specified on the Incomplete Grade Contract. If no grade is specified, the Incomplete is turned to an “F.”

Students who wish to arrange to take an Incomplete for the semester should consult with the faculty member teaching the course. If the instructor agrees that an Incomplete is appropriate, the instructor will complete an Incomplete Grade Contract in MaineStreet which specifies the following:

  • the work to be completed by the student
  • the date by which the student will complete the work
  • the grade the student will receive if the work is not completed.

The Registrar’s Office waits until 210 days after the end of the semester in which the Incomplete was given, then changes any remaining Incomplete grades to the grade specified on the Incomplete Grade Contract. If no grade is specified, the Incomplete is turned to an “F.”

If a student has completed almost all the requirements for a course, but has a compelling reason for not being able to complete the rest of the requirements on time, an Incomplete may be appropriate.

If a student has not completed most of the work for a course, an Incomplete is not appropriate.  The student should receive the grade he/she earned for the course, or an “L,” with last date of attendance/participation, if appropriate (for students who disappear from a course).  Any student who receives an “F” or an “L,” and who wishes to retake the course, needs to register for the course during a subsequent term in order to participate in the class.

No.  Instructors are not obligated to give a student an Incomplete grade.

Students need to be aware that it may take the instructor some time to evaluate late work.  The instructor is under no obligation to issue the final grade for a course immediately upon receipt of the late materials.

The Registrar’s Office waits until 210 days after the end of the semester in which the Incomplete was given, then changes any remaining Incomplete grades to the grade specified on the Incomplete Grade Contract. If no grade is specified, the Incomplete is turned to an “F.”

When a student repeats a course, the initial grade remains on the transcript, but only the latest grade is used for computing the grade point average.

Credit earned for all previously completed attempts of the course will be lost.

When a student completes the exact equivalent of a UMM course at another institution (while registered at that institution) with an acceptable grade, the effect of the original grade on the student’s GPA will be cancelled. However, the grade the student earned at the other institution will not replace the original grade in the calculation of the GPA, in accordance with standard transfer credit policy.

Courses are graded on an A-F basis unless otherwise noted in the course description.

When a course is graded on a Pass/Fail basis, the grade of P will be considered to be equivalent to a C- or better. A grade of LP (Low Pass) may also be assigned, and considered the equivalent of a D+, D or D-. A grade of F earned in a course graded on a pass/fail basis will not affect the grade point average.

When a course may be taken pass/fail at the option of the student, the student must declare his/her option in writing before the end of the second week of classes by submitting the Declaration of Grade Option form to the Registrar’s Office, or to the instructor, who will in turn submit the student’s form to the Registrar’s Office.

Once made, this decision cannot be changed.

A student may audit a course for informational instruction only. A student who audits does not receive academic credit for work done.

A student may register for any course on an audit basis by obtaining the approval of the course instructor on a Course Audit Request form. Students auditing a course pay full price for tuition and fees.

A course registration may only be changed to or from audit status during the first week of the semester. Instructor permission is required.

Full-time students may not use the audit registration as a basis for exceeding the usual credit maximum of 18 semester hours. Audit registration also may not be used as a means of achieving full-time status.

Audit registrations will appear as such on the permanent record of the student. The University, therefore, reserves the right to monitor the attendance of the auditing student.

Many courses have prerequisites, or courses that need to be completed prior to the course in question. Students should check the Course Descriptions to identify course prerequisites.

The prerequisite rules assume that you will pass the courses in which you are currently enrolled. If you later fail a course which is a prerequisite for a later course, your registration may be dropped for failure to meet the required prerequisite(s).

If you think the prerequisite rules are missing some important information about your record, or don’t seem to recognize the course you’ve taken as a prerequisite, call or email the Registrar’s Office (207-255-1223 or and we will check into the situation.

In general, the minimum prerequisite for enrollment in University courses is the high school diploma or equivalent. Certain courses may have prerequisites in the form of prior courses. Anyone who does not meet general or specific course prerequisites may be permitted to enroll in certain courses based on work experience or other qualifications, with permission of the instructor. Course descriptions and course prerequisites are available in MaineStreet Class Search, from the Registrar’s Office, or the UMM ITV Office (for UMM Distance Education courses). High school students may enroll in certain courses, based on their qualifications. Students should work through their high school guidance counselors to find out more about UMM’s Early College program.

Students enrolling in college-level English or math courses for the first time must take the appropriate UMM placement exam.  Please contact the Student Services Center at 207.255.1470 or by email at for more details.

There are no prerequisites for enrollment in non-credit courses.

A person need not apply for admission or be accepted in a UMM degree program in order to enroll in courses. Such non-degree registration, however, is limited to eight credits per semester.

Permission Numbers

If you don’t have the needed prerequisite(s), but DO have the instructor’s permission, ask the professor to give you a Permission Number for the class.  You will need to include the Permission Number on the first page of the MaineStreet Enrollment process.  If you have already put the class on your Wish List, remove the class from your Wish List and add it again, adding the Permission Number in the box provided.

If you choose to seek the instructor’s signature instead of a Permission Number, you will need to bring an add/drop slip with the instructor’s signature to the Registrar’s Offie for processing. You will also need to include your semester PIN number or your advisor’s signature on the form.