Grading Policy

Quality Points & Grading Symbols

Official grades are reported and recorded on a student’s official academic record at the end of each semester on the basis of the following system:

Grade Quality Points per Credit
A+ 4.00
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
I Incomplete: a temporary grade indicating that specific arrangements have been made with the instructor to complete work by a later date not to exceed 210 days. An “I” which is not removed by the prearranged date is replaced with an “F.”
DG Deferred Grade: Satisfactory progress in a course that extends beyond a single semester.
W Withdrawal or administrative withdrawal.
P Successful completion of a pass/fail course. These hours are not included in point average calculations.
LP Low Pass (D+, D, D-) in a Pass/Fail course; hours are not included in GPA calculations
L Stopped attending. The grade of “L” may be assigned to the student who stopped attending a course without officially withdrawing. The grade of “L” will be computed as an “F” for purposes of the student’s grade point average.
MG No grade supplied by instructor.
AU Audit registration; no credit hours attempted or earned.
* Quality points count toward GPA; credits do not count toward degree credits earned.
~ Quality points do not count toward GPA; credits count toward degree credits earned.
# Quality points do not count toward GPA; credits do count toward degree credits earned.


Final Grading Instructions


Important Grading Dates – Spring 2020

  • Grade rosters for the Spring 2020 term are created in MaineStreet based on the end date of record for the class and are generally available a few days prior to the class ending.
  • Grades are due one week after the final exam or the last class meeting.  All grades must be submitted by May 15, 2020.
  • Grades entered, but not posted by the deadline, will be posted by the Registrar’s Office on May 17, 2020.



All grades must be submitted using MaineStreet.  Follow the instructions provided below when completing the grade roster.  Direct questions or problems to ummreg or contact the Registrar’s Office at (207) 255-1223.


Entering and Posting Grades                            (Printable MaineStreet Grading Quick Guide pdf)
Changing a Grade After Posting
Uploading Grades from an Existing File
Grading FAQ

Entering and Posting Grades

  1. Sign into the MaineStreet portal at


  1. Select the Faculty Center link from the menu

Faculty Center


  1. Access the grade roster

a.  Verify the correct term is selected and change if necessary using the Change Term and/or Institution button.

b.  Locate the desired class and select the associated Enter Grades button.



NOTE:  If grades have been recorded electronically in a spreadsheet such as Excel, the grades may be uploaded using the Upload Grades from File link.  For details on this function, go to Uploading Grades from an Existing File, otherwise continue to next step.


  1. Assign grades for each student

a.  Select the drop-down list in the Grade Roster column that corresponds to each student and select the desired grade.



  1. Change the Approval Status of the grade roster

NOTE:  Use the Save button to save grades that have been entered.

a.  Once grades for all students have been entered, change the Approval Status to Approved in the drop-down list just above the top of the grade roster. The Post button then appears.



    1. Post the grades

a.  To officially submit the grades, select the Post button. Notice that after posting the grades, the Approval Status field is grayed-out and the Request Grade Change button appears on the page.  Any changes required will have to be done following the Change a Grade after Posting process.

b.  Once grades are posted, students will see the grades and the GPA information is immediately updated.


  1. Optional: If desired, download completed grade roster by selecting the Download link located on the right side of the bar at the top of the roster.


Changing a Grade after Posting

  1. Access the grade roster as indicated in steps 1-3 of Entering and Posting Grades
  1. Select the Request Grade Change button


  1. Enter the new grade and reason for the change request

a.  Select the drop-down list in the Official Grade column for the corresponding student and select the new grade.

b.  Provide the reason for the grade change request in the box provided

c.  Select the Submit button


Uploading Grades from an Existing File

  1. Access the grade roster as indicated above in steps 1-3 of Entering and Posting Grades


  1. Verify format of the file being used for upload

a. To view the requirement of the file format, select the View Sample File Format link

b.  The file must contain only the student ID, including leading zeroes, and grade separated by a comma, semicolon or tab. The easiest method to create a file of the required format is to save it as a Text (Tab delimited, *.txt) or CSV (Comma Delimited, *.csv).

Example:   1231234,A


c.  Remove all other data, as well as any headers, from the file


  1. Upload the file with the necessary formatting requirements

a.  Select the Upload Grades from File link


b.  Use the Browse button to locate the file and select the Upload button


  1. Successful upload:

a.  If no grading errors were detected during the upload, a message box displays providing information on how to complete the process

b.  Select the OK button to continue


  1. Errors during upload:

a.  If errors are detected, a message box displays providing instructions to use the View Error Report link to review and correct the errors


b.  Select OK to continue

c.  Select the View Error Report link


d.  Review the Error Handling Instructions for guidance on resolving issues

e.  To view the data used for the upload, select the Data from Source File tab


f.  If necessary, make changes to the input file and upload again

g.  If assistance is required during this process, contact the Office of Student Records at 207-581-1288

  1. Once upload process is finished and any errors resolved, follow steps 5-7 of Entering and Posting Grades to complete the grading process




Grading FAQ:

Can a grade for a student on the grade roster be left blank?
No. All students must be graded in order for the grade roster to be set to Approved status which then allows posting of the grades.

How do I change a grade that has been posted?
Instructors may change grades for classes in any term using MaineStreet by accessing the grade roster for the appropriate class and selecting the “Request Grade Change” button. See instructions for Changing A Grade After Posting.

A student is not listed on the roster. What should I do?
If a student is taking the course and is not shown on the Grade Roster, please send an email message from your account only, to and include the student’s full name, Student ID, course, section, credits and grade. Grades cannot be accepted via telephone.

A student has not been attending class. What grade should be assigned?
Any registered students who have never attended, or who stopped attending resulting in less than 50% participation without officially dropping, should be considered for the “L” grade. This grade counts the same as an “F.” When prompted during the grade input process, please provide the Last Date of Attendance or indicate if the student never attended. This information is helpful in serving students receiving financial aid and veteran’s benefits.

What does it mean when a student has an “Audit” Grade Basis?
These students have paid tuition at the normal rate for the course and will receive a transcript entry indicating the audit. They are not required to complete assignments or take exams. These students should receive the grade of “AU.” If they have never attended, send notification of this to

Why do I see a “W” grade already assigned to a student?
Students who have officially withdrawn from the University or who withdrew from the course will have a grade (“W”) in the grade column.


Calculating a GPA

To calculate a grade point average (GPA), divide the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credit hours graded on an A-F basis.

Text Notification of Grades

Students can register for the University of Maine System’s Grade Notification via Text Messaging Service.  Students who register for the service will be able to receive text notifications any time a new grade or grade change has been posted to their MaineStreet record.  Follow the instructions below to register for the service.

  1. Login to MaineStreet ( and go to your Student Center.
  2. Select the Text Messaging Service link found at the bottom right-hand portion of the page.
  3. On the line labeled “Grade Notification Service,” select “Register for this Service” from the drop-down box on the right.
  4. Click the >> button.
  5. On the next page, select or add the cell phone number where you want to receive the text notifications.
  6. Click the link labeled “Register.”
  7. A notice will pop up alerting you to the fact that the text messages which will be sent are not secure, and asking if you still want to register.  Click OK if you are still willing to subscribe to this service.
  8. You will receive a Text message on your phone with an Activation Key code.
  9. Click the Return button.
  10. On the line labeled “Grade Notification Service,” select “Activate My Registration” from the drop-down box.
  11. Click the >> button.
  12. Enter the Activation Key you received on your phone.
  13. Click the Activate button.
  14. Your registration for this service will expire on the date indicated.  You can cancel your registration at any time.

Grade Reports

Once grades have been posted to their academic records, students can see them by selecting the “Grades” link in their MaineStreet Student Center.

Students needing assistance to use the system should call the Registrar’s Office at (207) 255-1223.

Repeat Policy

When a student repeats a course, the initial grade remains on the transcript, but only the latest grade is used for computing the grade point average.

Credit earned for all previously completed attempts of the course will be lost.

When a student completes the exact equivalent of a UMM course at another institution (while registered at that institution) with an acceptable grade, the effect of the original grade on the student’s GPA will be cancelled. However, the grade the student earned at the other institution will not replace the original grade in the calculation of the GPA, in accordance with standard transfer credit policy.

Academic Records Changes

Considerable care is taken to ensure that courses and grades entered on a student’s permanent record are accurate. Any student who suspects an error has been made should contact the Registrar’s Office immediately. Records are assumed to be correct if a student does not report any discrepancies to the Registrar’s Office within one year of the completion of the course. At that time, the record becomes permanent and the student has no further right to appeal.

Academic Appeal Procedures

First Level of Appeal

Appeals in all academic matters should be initiated by the student directly, in person, with the administrator, faculty member or staff member involved within 30 days of the incident or event in question. If the student is not satisfied with the results, he/she should consult immediately with his/her academic advisor.

Second Level of Appeal

The next level of appeal should be by the student and his/her academic advisor to the next superior of the administrator, faculty member, or staff member involved, and should be submitted in writing within ten days after the ruling on the initial appeal step.

Third Level of Appeal

The third level of appeal should be to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, unless he/she has already been involved at the level of the second step described above.

Fourth Level of Appeal

If the student is still not satisfied with the decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, he/she may, with the assistance of his/her academic advisor, request a hearing before the Academic Appeals Committee. At this point in the process, the question of whether the appeal is indeed of an “academic” nature shall be determined by the President, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the Dean of Students before the appeal shall be referred to the Academic Appeals Committee. If it is ruled not to be an “academic” matter, the appropriate appeal procedure shall be pointed out to the student and his/her advisor.

The Academic Appeals Committee shall consider all action taken on the appeal to this point and other matters that it deems pertinent to the case. It shall make a full report of this and a specific recommendation for final disposition by the President. As a part of its recommendation, the Academic Appeals Committee shall report the vote count within the committee on its recommendation.

Final Ruling

The President shall make the final ruling on the appeal.

Grade Forgiveness

A student readmitted to UMM after a period of two or more years may choose to request grade forgiveness for all previous work done at the institution. To qualify, students must be matriculated and enrolled at the time of the request, and have completed at least 15 credits at the institution with a minimum GPA of 2.5 after the point of readmission.

If grade forgiveness is approved, the student retains past credits only for courses in which a grade of C- or higher was received. The effect of all prior quality points is nullified and the student’s cumulative GPA is reset to zero. All prior grades earned continue to be displayed on the student’s transcript, though they do not affect the student’s cumulative grade point average.

To apply for Grade Forgiveness, eligible students must complete the Request for Academic Forgiveness and submit to the Registrar’s Office. Students must specify on the application the semester before which all grades will be forgiven.