From day one, you will have the opportunities to plan, organize, and run campus and community activities including sports programs, ski and canoe races and trips.
Environmental Recreation & Tourism Management
Download the Learning Outcomes PDF for the Recreation and Tourism Management degree >>
Download the Program of Study PDF for the Recreation and Tourism Management Bachelor of Science degree >>
Download the Program of Study PDF for the Recreation Management Associate in Science degree >>
When you study Recreation and Tourism Management at UMM, you will:
- Start course work in your major first semester.
- Combine management skills with hands-on leadership and recreation skills for a more successful career.
- Pick an area of specialized study designed just for you.
- Study outside the classroom in nearby natural environments.
- Plan, organize and run campus and community activities.
- Have small classes and individualized attention.
- Gain work experience through Cooperative Education.
- Develop close relationships with experienced faculty and students from many backgrounds.
- Graduate from a nationally accredited program with the confidence and skill to gain employment and to have a successful career.
You May Also:
- Join student organizations to develop skills and build a resume.
- Enjoy a two-week course paddling through the whitewater on the St. John River.
- Attend state or regional conferences on parks and recreation, campus recreation, tourism, etc.
- Travel to national conferences.
- Gain certifications in many areas.
- An 8-trillion dollar a year recreation and leisure industry is growing every year.
- Tourism is the #1 or #2 industry in over 40 states.
- New growth in Fitness and Adventure Recreation opens new opportunities.
- Self-employment or working for a large organization are both options you can pursue.
- The combination of a broad general education, a comprehensive understanding of recreation, tourism and leisure, and managerial competence make UMM grads desirable employees in many situations.
- Dr. Bill Eckart:
- Master's Degree and Ph.D. in Recreation
- Specializes in facility management, games and sports, administration and management, and tourism
- Serves on Maine Tourism Commission and Maine Recreation and Park Association Board of Directors
- Dr. Andrea Ednie
- Master's Degree and PhD in Recreation and Tourism
- Specializes in Outdoor Recreation and Tourism
- Works with Maine Island Trails, Leave No trace program and others
- Rick Scribner:
- Master's Degree in Health, Physical Education and Recreation
- Master Maine Guide, Sea Kayaking Guide, Boating and Hunter Safety Instructor
- Specializes in Outdoor Recreation courses, Search and Rescue, Wilderness and Park Management