Peer advisors will be upper-class students who will work closely with a cohort of 14-22 incoming first-year students as they transition to the university. This will involve participation in First-Year Seminar classes, involvement in evening and weekend advising events, and actively becoming involved with the academic, personal, and social lives of their cohort group. Peer advisors will often serve as the initial point of contact for students experiencing difficulty on campus and so will need to develop strong interpersonal skills and will need to be adept at referring students to the appropriate resources.
- Keep regular office hours in the Advising Center
- Become an involved participant in a particular First-Year Seminar
- Organize and oversee several advising events a semester (Registration Week, Meet an Advisor, Stress Free Zone, etc)
- Maintain contact with all advisees in cohort group
- Provide support for first-year students transitioning to UMM
- GPA of 2.5 or better
recommendation from both:
- A faculty member within student’s area of study AND
- Residence Life (if an on-campus student) OR
- A previous employer (if an off-campus student)
- At least sophomore standing (24 earned credits from UMM)
- Federal Work Study eligibility Recommended
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to the Advising Center in Powers Hall.
Pay Grade III
10-20 hours per week