Les Otten, Candidate for Governor, to Speak at UMM on Dec. 9
MACHIAS – Maine businessman and candidate for Governor, Les Otten, will visit UMaine-Machias on Wednesday, December 9th. Otten will be speaking, then answering questions, at Kimball Hall, in the Portside Room, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm. The event is free and open to the public. All are encouraged to attend.
Les Otten has been creating jobs and promoting Maine for nearly four decades – in a wide range of pursuits including business, tourism, alternative energy, community development and philanthropy.
At Sunday River, Les took a tiny, struggling ski mountain in western Maine and turned it into one of the most successful resorts in America.
Les put together an ownership group to buy the Boston Red Sox and served as vice chairman and partner in the franchise from 2002 to 2007 when they won the World Series twice. Les spearheaded the effort to save Fenway Park and today, fans of Red Sox Nation now travel from all over the world to make the pilgrimage to the refurbished baseball shrine.
In 2008, Les and partners started Maine Energy Systems, whose primary mission is to support a transition to the use of renewable energy for homes and businesses.
As influential as Les has been as a business leader in Maine, he has done even more for charities and community organizations.
- Co-founder of the Western Mountains Alliance.
- Co-founder and first chairman of the Economic Environmental Council of Maine, which later become the Maine Chamber Alliance.
- Co-founder of Maine Handicapped Skiing.
- Former Chairman of the Board at the Portland Museum of Art.
- Co-founder of Project Opportunity, a unique Grant and Scholarship Program benefitting Telstar Regional High School students.
- Co-founder and Chairman of the Cromwell Center for Disabilities Awareness. In 2009, he was honored as the Cromwell Center Person of the Year.
- Chair of the Governor's Wood-to-Energy Task Force in 2008.
- Past President of the Maine Pellet Fuels Association.
- 2009 Inductee to the Maine Ski Hall of Fame.
In October 2009, Les officially launched a campaign to become the next Governor of Maine. To learn more about the Otten Jobs for Maine Campaign, visit www.lesotten.com.
For more information about the event, please contact Kelsey Jewell by dialing (207) 712-9726 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. No RSVP is required.