Applying for Graduation: All Students Must Apply
Students who plan to complete degree requirements in December 2013 or May 2014 need to complete an online Application for Graduation in MaineStreet in order to be considered for eligibility to march in the May 2014 Commencement Ceremony.
To access the new online Application for Graduation:
- Sign into MaineStreet (http://mainestreet.maine.edu)
- Select Self-Service
- Select Degree Progress/Graduation
- Select Apply for Graduation
Complete each of the following steps until you've submitted your Graduation Application:
- Select the link to your academic program (that is, the Division associated with the major you're completing - i.e. Arts & Letters, Environmental & Biological Sciences or Professional Studies)
- Check the major and concentration (and minor, if appropriate) on your record and review for completeness. If the concentration needs to be added, make a comment in the Comment box. If you've declared a minor, but won't be completing it, please mention that in the Comment box as well.
- Select the appropriate completion term from the drop-down menu (i.e. Spring 2014 for May 2014). If you know that you'll still need to complete a few courses before you finish, select May 2014 for the term, but add a comment in the Comment box that indicates when you hope to complete your coursework (and see Petition to March information below).
- Type your name as you want it to appear on your diploma. This name will also be used in the Commencement brochure.
- Type in the address to which you would like your diploma mailed.
- Enter your hometown and state in the box provided.
- Tell us whether or not you plan to attend the commencement ceremony.
- Submit your Application!
Why Do I Need to Apply for Graduation?
Completing an Application for Graduation allows the following to happen:
- File to be reviewed by the Registrar's Office
- Diploma to be ordered
- Name to be included in the Commencement Brochure
- Information on Caps, Gowns and Announcements to be sent from Aramark
- Information on Commencement to be mailed in late March
- Name to be included on lists of graduating seniors being considered for awards or other recognition
Requirements for Graduation
Students in all baccalaureate degree programs must complete a minimum of 120 credits, though some programs require more. All students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in order to graduate. Students in some programs have specific GPA requirements in their major as well.
Ordering Your Cap & Gown
All students participating in commencement at the University of Maine at Machias must purchase academic regalia in the University's distinct colors. UMM partners with University Cap & Gown Co. to provide this service online. All orders will be shipped to the school.
How to Order:
- Go to https://buildagrad.ca/umainemachias
- Click “Order My Cap & Gown” or any of the images to bring up the log in screen
- Create a New User account
- School ID: 06248
- Student ID: use any ID #
- Email Address: input any valid email address
- Password: input a personalized password
For help with ordering, please contact University Cap & Gown at email@example.com or 978-686-4566.
Petition to March Policy
Who May Petition?
A student who is within two courses and seven credits of fulfilling his/her degree requirements, may be eligible to march in the commencement ceremony. Only students whose cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher are eligible to Petition to March.
Permission to march may be granted only upon petition by the student, with advisor approval and recommendation of the Registrar, by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The petition shall include the student's plan for completing remaining degree requirements during the summer and/or next academic year.
If there are problems with the petition, the Registrar will consult with the faculty advisor. The Registrar will then make a recommendation to the VPAA concerning approval or denial of the petition.
What Happens Once A Petition is Approved?
Students whose petitions have been approved will be allowed to march in the May commencement ceremony. Once students have completed all degree requirements, the Registrar's Office will issue a transcript, noting same, and the date when all official documentation relative to completion reached the Registrar's Office.
The student will receive a diploma that will be dated the August, December or May following the actual completion of degree requirements. The diploma will be mailed to the student the following May, as diplomas are ordered only once a year.
If you feel you might qualify under the conditions outlined above, please complete a Petition to March form, obtain your advisor's signature and return form to the Office of the Registrar.