University of Maine at Machias » Campus Life » Student Support » Disability Services » How are accommodations initiated?
How are accommodations initiated?
- In college the student is responsible for initiating the accommodations process.
- For a smooth transition, contact the Coordinator of Special Services prior to enrollment.
- When you arrive on campus, contact the Advising Center at 255-1470 for an in-take appointment.
- Provide the coordinator with documentation and diagnosis from a qualified professional.
- The coordinator will interview you and read your documentation to make a determination.
- Once a determination is made students receive copies of their accommodation letters.
- It is the student’s responsibility to contact his/her instructors to activate accommodations.
- The coordinator is available for mediation, and academic support.
- Students need to reactivate the accommodations process each semester to continue services.
What documentation is needed and who provides it?
- It is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation for a determination of services.
- Documentation must be certified by a qualified professional in the relevant area of disability: medical doctor, licensed psychologist, or clinical counselor.
- Certified documentation must be written on professional stationary, and signed and dated.
- Documentation must include diagnosis of a physical, psychiatric, or learning disability.
- For a learning disability, documentation must include testing results and analysis.
- For a physical disability, documentation must include a description of functional limitations.
- For a psychiatric disability, documentation must include symptoms and specific needs.
- Although not required, suggestions for accommodations related to the disability are helpful.