UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT MACHIAS
Policy & Procedures Manual
SUBJECT: ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE & RELATIONSHIPS SECTION II
DATE: 1/92, 5/96, 6/00, /05
SECTION: Faculty President and Vice President
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR FACULTY PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT
1. Need not be tenured, but must be on tenure track.
2. May also be a division chair.
3. May also be the Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees.
4. May not the President or Vice President of UMM.
5. May serve no more than two consecutive terms.
6. Must have been a faculty member of UMM for at least three years.
7. If a member of a standing committee is elected Faculty President or Vice President,
he or she must resign from the standing committee and be immediately replaced.
ROLES FOR FACULTY PRESIDENT
1. Develop agenda in cooperation with committee chairs, administration, and faculty.
2. Chair meetings.
3. Coordinate preparation, review and distribution of minutes.
4. Review faculty actions with administration.
5. Report administrative actions on faculty recommendations to the faculty.
6. See that timely elections occur for Faculty Standing Committees.
7. Assist UMM President and the Vice President for Academic Affairs by recommending faculty to serve on Ad-hoc committees, search committees, etc.
8. Serve as Faculty Marshall for UMM graduation ceremony.
9. Represent Faculty at special events/activities, i.e. Board of Trustees receptions, visiting team receptions.
10. Serve on committee to select Buswell Award recipient.
11. Assume additional responsibilities as requested by the President and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
12. Prepare an annual fall report to be presented to the Faculty Meeting and which shall include lists of officers and Standing Committees of the Faculty, a summary of actions of the Faculty adopted by the administration since the last report, and other information of continuing importance at the discretion of the Faculty President.
13. Before the first faculty meeting of the academic year, work with the Human Resources office to compile a list of voting faculty members.
ROLES FOR FACULTY VICE PRESIDENT
1. Review workload of committees with standing committee chairs, to avoid duplication and make assignments of tasks to committees.
2. In absence of the President, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the Faculty President.
3. Administer the Faculty Fund and its related activities.
4. Other duties as assigned by the Faculty President or by majority vote of the faculty body.