For many students, confidentiality is a critical concern. Please note that while services are confidential there are some limits. By state law, information may only be released without written consent under the following conditions:
- Serious harm or threat of harm to self or others.
- Reasonable suspicion of child abuse, or abuse of elder or any incapacitated person.
- If there is a valid court order which requires disclosure of information.
- If a client or guardian has voluntarily agreed in writing to the release of information.
- In defense against legal action or formal complaint which a client makes before a court or regulatory board.
- During supervisory consultation.
Should any of the above situations arise, your counselor will speak with you regarding these issues, unless doing so would present undue threat of harm to the client or clinician.