Section: Athletic Philosophy
At UMM – Intercollegiate athletics, physical education and life-time fitness activities, and intramural sports are an integral part of our total educational programming and of our University Mission.
For intercollegiate athletics, UMM will provide administrative direction, guidance, and oversight toward providing:
- an athletic program that is integrated with our academic programming.
- a competent and caring coaching staff.
- teams and coaches who are true representatives of the University and who conduct themselves within the objectives and regulations of the University.
- a competitive and compatible game schedule.
- a strong relationship with high schools – especially Maine high schools
- gender equity
- support for the needs of minority student athletes
- an opportunity for young men and women, who represent the University on the playing field, to achieve greater personal enrichment through participation in quality intercollegiate athletic competition.