How to Apply
Everything starts with your application. How you go about applying for admission depends on where you are in your life journey right now.
We'll keep it simple for you. Just find the description below that best fits you.
Note:We are rolling admissions, however we stop accepting applications one week before classes start.
The following is a list of general requirements that we consider in our individualized, holistic review process:
- Graduate from high school or complete a GED.
- Complete a college prep program that includes 4 years of English, 3 years of math including algebra, 3 lab sciences, and 2 social sciences.
- We also prefer that you have 2 years of foreign language and computer competency. If you plan to major in business, high school business courses will be considered.
- Earn a 'B' average in your college prep courses.
- Place in the top half of your graduating class.
- Take the SAT or ACT. Your scores will help determine your first-semester English and math placements.
We welcome inquiries and applications from students interested in transferring from any university, college, or community college. For transfer information, click here.
UMM welcomes students from around the world to apply for admission. For information on international student requirements, click here.
We welcome applications from home-schooled students, who are subject to the same basic review process as students applying from more traditional high schools. For more information on home-schooled student requirements, click here.
A matriculated student who fails to enroll continuously each fall and spring semester, and who has not taken an official leave of absence, must apply for readmission to pursue a degree program. For more information on readmission to UMM, click here.
Interested in participating in UMM Clipper Athletics? We're a proud Yankee Small College Conference member of the United States Athletic Collegiate Association (USCAA), competing in volleyball, soccer, cross country and basketball. To learn more about Clipper Athletics, click here, and to apply now, click here.
To complete your application, also send to our Admissions Office:
- An official copy of your high school transcript. This should be sent by your guidance counselor. If available, include a profile of your high school.
- Official copies of your SAT or ACT scores.
- Written recommendations, a writing sample, and other pertinent information.
- A non-refundable $40 application fee using one of the methods below:
- Pay Online
The required $40 non-refundable application fee can be paid online when you submit your electronic application. Online payment can be made only by credit card. We accept Mastercard, American Express, and Discoverer.
Once your MaineStreet student account is set up, you can make online payments for unpaid application fees and any other charges by going to Finances and selecting Details/Bill/Pay.
- Pay by Mail
You can mail a check to:
University of Maine at Machias
116 O’Brien Avenue
Machias, ME 04654